Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Whimsical Wednesdays

Whimsical

Whim"si*cal\, a. [From Whimsey.]

1. Full of, or characterized by, whims; actuated by a whim; having peculiar notions; queer; strange; freakish. "A whimsical insult." --Macaulay.
My neighbors call me whimsical. --Addison.
2. Odd or fantastic in appearance; quaintly devised; fantastic. "A whimsical chair." --Evelyn.
Syn: Quaint; capricious; fanciful; fantastic.
Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.


I think all of our lives need more 'Whimsey' in them. Growing up I had a wonderful imagination. We didn't have a television in my family's home so I grew up surrounded by books...read to me by my parents on a daily basis until I was old enough to read them myself, and then later reading everything I could get my hands on. Additionally I lived in a small community and our home was several miles outside of town so we used our imagination to create fun things to do and magical worlds to do them in.

One of my old friends recently reminded me of the castles and forts we used to build from 'Tumbleweeds'...yes that's right, I said 'tumble weeds'. We would pick them up and stack them in all manner of fanciful arrangements from walled forts to multi-room structures. Sometimes covered with old sheets or blankets to shelter us from sun or rain, others left uncovered to let the breeze blow through, these tumbleweed temples were magical places where we played and stretched our imaginations to the limit.

And so, in memory of those times I present...Whimsical Wednesdays.

This week...a whimsical poem...

"Memories"
by: Lee Jun Hui
"Let's crystalize the beautifullest memories of ours.
Then they would be tangible.
And when we're feeling down,
We could take a look at those pearly crystals.
And reminisce the happiest times of our lives.
We could display them on the glass shelves.
And they would showcase without hesitation,
The fond memories of childhood,
The fun and laughter,
The best of times we've ever had!
We would keep those memories to ourselves.
And treat them with precious care.
And share them with other people.
May those crystals of fond memories,
Sparkle with pride.
And last for an eternity.

2 comments:

  1. Tumbleweeds? Where did you grow up...
    I do believe that we could all use more "Whimsy" in our lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey T,
    I tagged you for a fun "Meme"...check it out on today's post.
    K

    ReplyDelete